Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Republics, Recalls, Rights, and Responsibilities

Way to go Colorado! For the first time since I moved here, voters got something right: we do not want senators who refuse to listen to their constituents and the constitution.

I was mortified a couple of weeks ago to have a car full of Christian friends tell me they were not planning to vote in the recall. Not only that, they did not even know about it, in spite of it being national news. 

As much as I do not want to be involved in the rat-race of politics, I do want to use my voice while I still have one. Men and women have sacrificed their families, comforts, health, and very lives to keep America a representative Republic... By gum, I will not stand by and spit in their eyes by not voting. It took about 30 minutes to research the recall, and about 0.3 seconds for me to know what I needed to do as a voter and citizen of Colorado. So, this morning my neighbour and I walked down to City Hall to vote.

When I was reading this afternoon, I came across this comment that coincided with my thoughts about Christians needing to become informed and vote for the best candidate available:
"Evasion of responsibility is the mark of immaturity."
(Elisabeth Elliot, Let Me Be A Woman - pg 45)
Let us not evade our responsibility to God, our neighbours our country, and ourselves - whether it is at work, in our conversations, the way we drive, or in our civic duty. We have civic duty because we have the right to change our government by due process. Rights are preceded by duties, by discipline, by action. Let us not take them for granted.

~ Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment