Saturday, December 17, 2011

What Child is This?

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and lamb are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.

Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you,
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

'What Child is This?' is one of my favourite Christmas carols, particularly because of this verse. When I was younger I didn't know or understand the following phrase very well: 'Good Christians, fear, for sinners here the silent Word is pleading.'

The Word, The One who spoke the world into existence, is mute (save for crying and cooing) in the arms of His very own creation. Yet God becomes a speechless baby, pleading for the salvation and redemption of mankind. Truly, the Incarnation is one of two miracles that always astounds and arrests my attention (the other being the resurrection).

'Hail, hail the Word made flesh, the Babe, the Son of Mary.'

A blessed Advent season to you, dear friends and readers!

~ Johanna

2 comments:

  1. oh Jody...this is so beautiful. I, too, love that hymn. Such a message...so thought-provoking.

    lately I've thought about this a lot:
    "light and life to all He brings, risen with healing in His wings; mild He lays His glory by, born that may no more may die; born to raise the sons of earth, born to give them second birth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth Ann!

    How are you, friend?

    Funny, Hark, The Herald Angels Sing has been often in my head or on my lips lately, too! Such a great hymn with lots of good theology in it!

    Have a blessed Christmas!

    Love you -
    ~ Jody

    ReplyDelete