Monday, November 28, 2011

This is Home

“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. "
~ The Last Battle: C. S. Lewis
Every day this exclamation rings true in my heart, but some days it pierces me more acutely. There are the days when I believe the lies that I am not as cool as my friends, or that I am not intelligent enough. There are days that I feel less than average in my appearance. There are days when I feel like my friends underestimate (or ignore) my knowledge and skills... And days when I, too, believe that I am ignorant and useless. Days like these make me long for another world where being in the presence of The Superlative to every good thing does not make me feel worthless, rather it invigorates me to be more like Him.

The other time Lewis's phrase burns in my heart is when I look into the ashen embers of the eyes of Death. Whether someone I know dies, or the family member of a friend passes away, it makes me weep. I do not lament because there is no hope, rather because Death is not what we were created for. We were made to live, and Death mocks the very order of our creation. However, Death can only quench our life because we let him in through sin, and sin begets death.
"But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death."
~ James 1:14-15 (NKJV)

Death. It is an ugly word, worse yet, a hideous reality. One day Death itself will be turned on its head and what seemed such a certain reality will melt away. Death will be swallowed up in the Life of Christ Jesus the Lord. At least, that is the hope of those who believe on Christ Jesus for salvation from their wanton desires (those that lead to sin and death, as stated above). Being fully alive is also the hope of those whose desires cannot be satisfied by all that this world has to offer.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
~ C. S. Lewis

Have you been looking all your life for another world? You were certainly made for another... And there lies real hope {confident expectation}. We must live here and now because this is where God has placed us. But we live here and now in the hope {expectation} that Redemption has happened, is happening, and that it will be fulfilled more deeply and richly than we could fathom or dare to dream in the world to come.
"...for them it was only the beginning of the real story. And all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: and now they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has ever read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."

~ The Last Battle: C. S. Lewis

When we finally discover that there is a real country, a home that we never knew existed but still somehow always believed in, then every chapter really will be better than the one before. Worthless feelings, lies, and Death will all be vanquished by the King of Glory, the LORD strong and mighty. 'Blessed, blessed, blessed be He!'

~ Johanna


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that post Jody!!!! That was encouraging! There are countless times when I don't feel like I fit in...even with Christians!

    By the way, we haven't talked in forEVER!! I miss you dreadfully!!! :( We need to catch up soon, ok??
    <3 Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this an edited version, or a re-post? I'd meant to ask something about the topic/post while you'd been over, though you always seemed so busy among other friends that the opportunity never presented itself... ^_^; 'Guess now I'll have to pen it all in a letter. (Phone keyboards are pretty much misery personified to write on for much length)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, I am so glad that this post encouraged you! You are not alone in your feeling out of place even with other Christians. ;) And yes, let's catch up soon!! I have time tomorrow and this weekend to talk. :)

    Andrew, astute observation... I updated the time stamp on this post because I thought it was the most important of the more recent posts, thus I wanted it to get a little more 'air time' so-to-speak. Guess I'll have to hear your thoughts after you leave the land of no internet. ;)

    ~ J

    ReplyDelete