Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oxford Life

Our flat shakes like an earthquake when fast trains go by. At least, I assume that's what a minor earthquake would feel like. The nice thing about living next to the railway is that British trains don't really whistle, they merely honk on occasion. Living near the railway station is often useful when lost, as well. Usually a sign or a person will point the way towards the railway, even if they cannot help you get anywhere else.

This week I've begun to feel less overwhelmed and more at home in Oxford. Walking in the rain at 40-50 degrees isn't too bad, the birds sing rather often, much of the shrubbery has leaves, and everything is green (a sharp contrast to Colorado). Including my lemon and over-ripe tomatoes. *Sigh*

Speaking of produce, as I was walking 'round Oxford yesterday, I happened upon an open air market. I bought 200g of cheese, about a dozen clementines, and four avocados for 3 quid (pounds). Not a bad deal, really. This was after my wandering around the New College (where I am an associate member) grounds and library. Upon my walk back, I stopped in Blackwell's booksellers for my very first time. I was a little disappointed that the first floor looked very much like a Barnes and Noble. The upstairs, however, had a vast array of used volumes, many were quite pretty and inexpensive. Hm, how could I pack more books for my return flight?

Books get heavy, you see. This I realised (yet again) as I carried around two books given to me by my tutor, Mr. LeMay, this morning. I am to write about the reasons behind the American's desire to separate from England, or 'What drove the colonists to rebellion?', as my tutor put it. This essay is due Tuesday morning. Mr. LeMay seemed rather gracious about the whole war and its outcome; perhaps it is because he grew up in South Africa.

I would write more, but I have an article and chapter to read for class with Kevin Bywater (taking place tomorrow afternoon), two books from one tutor, and some background info regarding the romantic period for another tutor.

Things I'm looking forward to in the next week: a free trip to London with OSAP on Sunday (if I get enough homework done on Saturday); evensong at New College; turning in my first two papers (Tues - History, Fri - Literature); a possible visit to the Eagle and Child; and all of the antics of my flatmates.

Ever under the Mercy,
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment